Saturday, September 28, 2013

Google Day in Bacolod

One thing that I missed the most since I move back here in Bacolod is the lineup of events and seminars that are available in Manila.  When I was there I've had the chance to attend breastfeeding, attachment parenting, cloth diapering, babywearing, WAHM-ing and homeschooling seminars that allowed me to re-think about my parenting style.  I find these seminars really helpful as a mother.

I'm still a mom but one thing that added on to my role is being an entrepreneur - a mompreneur.  It's very timely because Google has recently organized two events for the Negrenses.  We attended the Negrense Women's Summit last August 31 and the Google Day earlier today at the Sugarland Hotel.

My good friend Yen De Felipe tackling the subject of Online Marketing
Today was just another day to network with other entrepreneurs and other future and present Google users. The Google business group Bacolod (GBG) organized a whole day activity and gave us an opportunity to learn about Google, its different applications and how it can be used to leverage your businesses. After the keynote speaker in the morning, there is a break out session and the attendees get to choose which topic they want to learn about.  As for me and my business partners, Yols and Seia, we attended the talks on:


  • Technopreneurship
  • Building Your Online Presence
  • Monetizing Your Business by Blogging
  • Community Engagement


Jonathan Lansangan, Co-founder and COO of Dynamic Objx on Technopreneurship


I did learn a lot from the speakers and believe me, I've got a long list of takeaways waiting for me to accomplish.  However, if I am to enumerate two things that struck me the most, they are:


  • Technopreneurship is hard work.  Do not go into it if  you're in it for fame, fortune, freedom, fancy or force. I used to think that if I do have my own business then its going to be better because I am in charge of my time. I'm going to be free and I get to do stuff that I want to do, when I want to do it. Well, there's truth to that. I manage my time but most of it are spent thinking about what we can do better. What can we change? So, yeah. There goes freedom. There's a long list in my mind and in my laptop about what needs to be done. And who needs to do it? Me. Or Yols. Or Seia.  Between freelancing, the business and my advocacy, I definitely need to manage my time better. 

  • Content is KING.  Whether you blog for personal reasons or you blog to get your business and your products noticed, you've got to create quality content.  Write something that your readers want to know. Write about things that you're passionate about. Let this be the reason why your followers would come back to your site and even share the posts that you've written.


We had fun at Google Day! Time pressure kept us from spelling Google correctly. Lol.
Overall it was a great event. Great food, good venue and very relevant topics. Too bad thought that the internet connection was not so good earlier. Would I be attending the next event? Definitely. But for now, I need to get myself to explore the Google communities.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Planet Mom Readers' Corner

Let me know what you think.