Saturday, January 28, 2012

My Daughter the MATH Wizard

My daughter is a Math Wizard.  I am proud to say that.  She's been competing in MTAP for the past 3 years.  She learned fractions on her first grade; starting adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing one on her 2nd grade; and studied linear equations on her 3rd grade.  She knew things I never knew when I was her age.  She is now on her 4th grade and she even passed the MTG (Mathematics Trainers Guild) exam.  And because of that she went through a series of rigorous Math Training.  We recently found out that after the MTAP exam that she only scored 29 out of 50.  Shocked, surprised and disbelief is what I felt.  I pulled her aside and asked her how she felt.  She said three words, "sad and disappointed."

I can only give her a hug and a kiss and tell her how proud I am of her.  And that it's ok.  There is always a next time.

I asked her if she wants to talk about it.  Her reply? "No.  Talking will only make me feel more disappointed."  Then she left.

She probably needs some space now and I am giving her that.  Maybe in a day, a couple of days she'd be ready to talk about it.  And I will be there for her.

My daughter is a Math Wizard.  With recognition or not, I know what she's capable of and I am proud to be her mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Planet Mom Readers' Corner

Let me know what you think.