Sunday, October 16, 2011

Beauty, Brains & Breastfeeding

It's such an irony that the Philippines, being a 3rd world country have such poor percentage of breastfeeding women.  According to the UNICEF statistics, only 34% exclusively breastfeed their babies for the first six (6) months.  The rest are either bottlefed or were given liquid other than breastmilk.  Mix feeding in the first six months is not really recommended because it can lead to health problems such as "allergies, respiratory infection, diarrhea and dehydration."

Beauty, Brains & Breastfeeding, Inc. is an organization created to advocate breastfeeding and to correct several breastfeeding misconceptions.  Founded by Iza Abeja, the organization also aims to support mothers in breastfeeding even at their workplace.  Iza, together with Daphne Osena-Paez and Patricia Bermudez-Hizon, are out to make sure that their message is heard. 

It was unfortunate that my kids belonged to 66% of the population.  I may not be successful in breastfeeding my daughter;  I may have supplemented; but my son is still breastfeeding at 15 months.  If I can make a difference - support someone and be more successful than I am in breastfeeding, I'll be one happy momma!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Planet Mom Readers' Corner

Let me know what you think.